Kraus Modular Tiles Offer Excellent Durability for High-Traffic Areas
- Andrew Uhacz
High traffic areas are always difficult to keep looking their best. Hotels, in particular, need those areas looking their best at all times! What can you do, as a consumer, to fight back? That's easy! Use Kraus Flooring modular tiles for your highest traffic areas. You can expect the best results when you use the best product.
Kraus Modular Carpet
What is so great about Kraus carpet modular tiles? Kraus isn't just a distributor of excellent flooring. Kraus is also a manufacturer. From weaving through dying and backing, Kraus makes each tile square from start to finish. Quality is woven into each step of the process. To understand fully, let's take a look at how it's made.
History of Berber Carpets
Kraus modular tiles are made with Berber carpeting which has come to mean a style of looping yarn. Berber originally came from African nations and was a large loop of wool or nylon in light neutrals with flecks of color. One of the drawbacks of Berber came if a loop was snagged loose from the backing, slowly but surely you would see a zipper effect across your carpet, where one long continuous line of material was gone. We'll see how that has become a thing of the past momentarily.
Berber has evolved into a small loop usually made of olefin materials and comes in many colors, including dark solids. It was once preferred for basements and office spaces as it had high durability, but wasn't soft and inviting to bare feet. Also, the olefins most often used are quite often made from recycled plastics, making them nearly impossible to absorb spills. Thus it was unlikely to stain and easy to clean.
Kraus uses ZipperLock® technology to assure you will never have a problem with yarn coming lose and unraveling. Regular carpeting loops the yarn through the initial backing prior to the secondary backing being attached. Kraus goes a step further by using a dual interlocking system for binding the yarn to the initial backing. Then they use dual laminate bonding to secure the yarn in place. This is done by using one compound applied to the primary backing, then a second compound applied to the secondary backing. Those tufts are not unraveling, thus there will be no unsightly zipper effects running across your floor.
Commercial Carpet Options
Kraus gives you unparalleled choices in modular tiles:
- over 50 colors
- 3 types of backing - ArmorBac, EuroBac, and FiberCore
- 2 styles - square or plank
- 4 material choices - all synthetic variations with superb cleanability
- Nylon - is more expensive and often softer than other types of synthetic carpet fibers
- 6,6 Nylon - created with 2 monomers so it absorbs less than single-monomer nylon
- Ultrel Nylon - is a BCF (bulk continuous filament) yarn rated Green Label Plus for highest indoor air quality, recyclability and sustainable manufacturing processes
- Polypropylene - a synthetic material less expensive than nylon
Hotel Carpet Ideas
Greatest advantage to using Kraus modular tile is that damaged tiles can be easily substituted without the need to replace the entire floor. Modular tiles are most commonly found in guest rooms, meeting rooms, corridors, elevators, and lobbies.
- Cost effective
- Slip resistant
- Noise insulator
- Great for oddly shaped rooms
- Available in wide range of colors and styles
- Easier to install and replace than roll-carpeting
- Made to withstand high traffic areas
Carpeting Installation Tips
- Always follow the manufacturer's installation instructions so as not to risk invalidating any warranties
- Always use the Kraus recommended adhesives by the manufacturer (which will be in the installation instructions) KPA 301 Pressure sensitive adhesive.
- Remove all dust, debris, and pre-existing adhesives; fill any cracks or holes in subfloor; check for moisture; check to be sure floor is level
- Find your starting place and draw out lines on the floor; lay out clips on 45 degree angle
- Secure tile to clips
While most hoteliers will not be performing their own installations, it is good to be aware of the basics to be sure it is being done properly. Contact us today to discuss the best product for your budget.